Re: Drive proving stubbornly unmountable

G'day,

> Possible error sources are :
> 		-the partition was never made a vfat partition by
> 		  Windows95, but is still a fat partition

Sort of don't think this would be it, as it had files with long file
names in it. I don't think that is possible under FAT.

> 		-your kernel does not support the vfat fs
> Try mounting it as a fat partition or check whether your kernel supports vfat.
> If it does not, you can either recompile it with vfat support or load the
> appropriate module.

Okay, quick question here. I tried mounting it and it said (can't
remember exact error) something about FAT not being supported by the
kernel. I thought this was a bit wierd, as I thougth I compiled it in,
and went back thru my kernel setup in make menuconfig. Accounding to
that, fat support should have been compiled into the kernel, not as a
module (yeah, can't rememebr what I was thinking at the time...)

I seem to recall that vfat sort of needed fat to work (tho my memory
could be failing me...), would it matter if vfat was a module, and fat
was compiled into the kernel? More to the point, if it was compiled into
the kernel, why does it say it isn't supported by the kernel...

Confusing! Or maybe I'm just stupid today...

damon

========
Damon Muller (damon@lenore.empire.net.au)
Web Page:   www.sub.net.au/~tr      It's not a sense of humor. It's
ICQ UIN:    2920281                 a sense of irony disguised as one.
PGP Key ID: 0x232C09E1                   - Bruce Sterling