Re: How to configure sendmail for dial on demand operation ?

Gerd Bavendiek schrieb am Sun, 31 May 1998 17:24:30 +0200 (CEST):

> Hi,
> My box is connected to my ISP via an ISDN router (Ascend pipeline),
> which does dial on demand. I don't want sendmail to establish
> connections in the background. The mail processing shall be delayed
> until I explicitly make a connection.

If you don't need to receive mail via smtp, just remove sendmail from
the inetd.conf or the /etc/rd.*d/ directories.  Assuming, that it is
started using the SysV init scripts, just issue the following command:

	update-rc.d -f sendmail remove

to prevent its invocation on next startup.  (BTW: Is there a way for
doing this that will survive the next sendmail update?)

> Though I found various hints on I was not able to make it work for
> me.  I'm using the Debian sendmail-package 8.8.8-16. This is my
> current customization section in sendmail.mc:
>
> ## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)
> define(`confDELIVERY_MODE', `delay')
> FEATURE(nodns)dnl
> FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
> FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> define(`SMART_HOST', `relay:[rw.sni.de]')dnl
> define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(rw.sni.de)dnl
> define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
> FEATURE(notsticky)dnl
> MAILER(local)dnl
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
>
> There is no nameserver on my box.
>
> Any hints really appreciated !

If the above setup is okay (i.e., your mail is correctly queued and
the only remaining problem was the sendmail running in daemon mode,
flushing the queue every 30m), just issue a runq in some file in the
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ hierarchie to send the queued mail.

If there is any additional problem with your setup, please tell us.

	Torsten