dselect

I have a Debian CD, which I obtained from Linux Mall. I have repeatedly
tried to install packages with dselect both from the CD and by transferring
the packages to my hard drive. I go through Select, Install where there is
disk action, then Configure where I get a positive response, and finally,
after Quit, I find that nothing new is installed. I am left with the same
minimal programs that I started with. In one of the Debian documents, they
are described as things that do nothing useful. What am I doing wrong?