Re: Help with multi-boot please.

On Sun, 31 May 1998, INFO@VTRAD.COM wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone help me?
>
>I have installed (mostly) Linux on to my secondary hard drive (d:). I have NT4 sitting on the first partition of my primary (c:) and win95 sitting on the second partition of my primary (e:). There is also a third partition of my primary (f:) which I use for deep store. All file systems are FAT.
>
>I have a multiboot set up which allows me to choose between NT and 95.
>
>When I finished (alomost) setting up Linux, I got the following error message:
>
>"Currently it is impossible to boot from the second harddisk. Please boot using rescue disk method and configure LILO manually."
>
>Note: When I set up Linux I partitioned d: into two (normal and swap.).
>
>I can boot to the Boot disk happily.
>
>How do I get it to boot to my second hard drive? How do I set up the multiboot?
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Ed Egan.
>ed@vtrad.com

Are you still using the NT bootmanager? If you do, you need to install the Linux
Loader (LILO) in the MBR of your first harddrive. LILO then takes care of
managing the multi-boot as long as you supply it with enough information about
your system. The installation of LILO is one of the steps in the debian
installation program. What happened in your case is that the installation
procedure was not able to cope with the fact that you installed Linux on the
second harddrive. This is NOT a problem, though.
When you boot using the rescue disks, you can supply additional information,
such as the root device to use. In your case this would probably be done with a
command like root=/dev/hdb1 (or whatever partition you installed it to). It then
boots using your installation.
The next step is to configure LILO manually, which can be done by editing
/etc/lilo.conf, which looks something like that:

boot=/dev/hda		<---	this is the harddrive that LILO is installed on
root=/dev/hda5		<---	this is the root partition of your installation
				in your case /dev/hdb1 (or what you installed
				Linux on
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=40

image=/vmlinuz		<---	this specifies the kernel image to boot. This is
				also the first entry in the config file and thus
				the default OS to boot.

         label=SkyNet
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1		<---	you need additional entries for each other OS
				you want to boot, in your case one for NT
				(/dev/hda1) and Win95 (/dev/hda2)
        label=winblows

Thus you would have to use a file like the one I enclosed. After you edited
/etc/lilo.conf, you'll have to start LILO manually once to install it with the
updated data. After that you should have everyting running.

 --
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb1
compact
install=/boot/boot.b