Re: directory tree and .deb's

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 11:53:00AM -0400, G. Kaplan wrote:
> Can I determine the destination directory of a package from the Packages
> file. My objective is to calculate the disk storage requirement for all
> (or a preselected subset of)  packages by destination directory. Where
> can I find this information without actually installing the package.

By "Packages file" do you mean, e.g.,
"/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/Packages.dists_frozen_main"?  If so, I don't
believe the desired information is there.

If you mean an individual package file, e.g., xyz-0.13.deb, then "dpkg -c
xyz-0.13.deb" displays an "ls -l" of the archive therein.  One doesn't
have to install the package to see this.

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux 2.0