Re: ipforward'ing on in kernel?

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> [Since I got no answer last time, I am trying again on this query]
>
> The basic question is: is IP-forwarding on in the default kernel, and how
> does one tell, or does one have to build a custom kernel to do routing?
> -- In gereral, how does one tell if a feature is on in a kernel?

No it isn't. You need a custom kernel. IMHO everybody needs a custom
kernel. The installation ones are bogged down by drivers required to
support every known boot device. And you look in .config, if it's been
kept.

> ------------------------
> Details:
> We want to setup a local simple router-pair, to create a LAN-remote subnet
> segment.
>
> 1) To support this, we need routing enabled in the kernel. Does the default
> kernel on the 1.3.1 CDROM have this enabled?

I doubt it.

> [...]
>
> 4) We also need PPP proxyarp, is it on by default (curious about the ARPD
> not set).

I don't think there's any connection. I think defaultroute and proxyarp
are on in PPP by default, which leads to much mystification when people
read messages about them in the logs in circumstances where they're not
used.

ppp is not built into bo installation kernels, but I guess it might be
in more recent ones as I think that's now a supported method of
installation.

Cheers,