ipforward'ing on in kernel?

[Since I got no answer last time, I am trying again on this query]

The basic question is: is IP-forwarding on in the default kernel, and how
does one tell, or does one have to build a custom kernel to do routing?
-- In gereral, how does one tell if a feature is on in a kernel?
------------------------
Details:
We want to setup a local simple router-pair, to create a LAN-remote subnet
segment.

1) To support this, we need routing enabled in the kernel. Does the default
kernel on the 1.3.1 CDROM have this enabled?

    rrouter# uname -a
    Linux rrouter 2.0.30 #1 Sun Jun1 09:14:11 EST 1997 i586
    rrouter#

I thought we could tell by "cat /proc/ksyms | grep forward" :
	00140988 ip_forward_R35268aee
	0022ae04 sysctl_ip_forward_Ra7d20d83

Is this correct? seems to say yes; or do we have to rebuild a new kernel.

2) How do we tell what options are compiled into the Kernel?

3) I read:
 "The Slackware Linux kernel as shipped does NOT have IP FORWARDING enabled.
  So you can hook it up to the net, and use Linux directly on the net, but
  Linux won't pass packets through to your local Ethernet or what have you.
  There is no way to tell from the boot messages that this feature is on or
  off.  The only way is to look at the config file for building the kernel
  in /usr/src/linux/.config and see what CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is set to.

  "grep FORWARD /usr/src/linux/.config" is the ideal command for this.

     CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y                 means it is turned ON
     # CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set      means it is turned OFF

  The only way to enable this feature is to rebuild the kernel.

What about Debian?
On the CDROM (1.3.1), the .config file says:
     ----------------------
     #
     # Networking options
     #
     # CONFIG_FIREWALL is not set
     # CONFIG_NET_ALIAS is not set
     CONFIG_INET=y
     # CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set
     # CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
     CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
     CONFIG_RST_COOKIES=y
     # CONFIG_IP_ACCT is not set
     # CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
     # CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
     # CONFIG_ARPD is not set

Does this correspond to the binary kernel distributed, or is it just a
standard default spec for building new kernels?

4) We also need PPP proxyarp, is it on by default (curious about the ARPD
not set).

Thanks,

Greg