Re: taper 6.8.x for bo?

servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> On 27 May, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > servis@purdue.edu wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anybody have a deb of taper 6.8.x for bo(and probably an updated
> >> ncurses set)?  Taper 6.7.x has a bug in handling tapes >2GB, which I now
> >> have.(See previous question on st* devices)  I can't upgrade to hamm
> >> yet so that option is out.
> >>

> >       Sorry, I was in the same boat.  I don't believe there are any recent
> > versions of taper for bo (it looks like most development has switched to
> > hamm - nobody is upgrading packages for bo anymore).  Taper 6.8 is available
> > for hamm, but as you say this isn't an option for you.  I eventually got the
> > tarball for taper 6.9preXX and built it myself.
> >

> Did you also compile a more recent ncurses?  I am a little nervous
> about building a system critical component such as ncurses.  How did
> you handle it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

	Yes, I got ncurses 4.2 from gnu archive.  I compiled it to install to /usr
(overwrite existing bins and libs in /usr/bin and /usr/lib).  Dangerous I
know, but I had the old ncurses_xxx.deb packages on hand if anything went
wrong.  Nothing went wrong.  I've not had any program have a problem with
the newer libs; everybody is happy.  FWIW, the same can't be said for the
slang lib.  The latest is 1.2 but a couple of programs (most + something
else) don't like the new lib.  If overwriting existing setup is troubling,
you can compile and install ncurses to /usr/local (this is default) and
manually backup old stuff and use symlinks to point to the new libs.  As
long as you have the ncurses_xxx.deb files on hand, though I'd just compile
and install to /usr and let the old stuff be overwritten.

--
Ed