Re: libc6 install help

On Thu, 28 May 1998, The.Sage@genesis.ispace.com wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to upgrade to libc6 and am running into a few problems.
>First I didn't have a new enough version of libc5, so I got version
>5.4.38-1 and installed that.  Installation went fine until the end
>wherein it informed me I didn't have /usr/lib/libc.so, and thus exited
>with an error.  Looking at libc.so points to /lib/libc.so.5.4.33?  There
>is only /lib/libc.so.5.4.38?  I'm new to linux so I don't know what
>happened here.  I got around it by copying this to 5.4.33.  Don't know
>what this might cause.  Ok, now I reinstalled libc5 and it worked.  Next
>I installed ldso version 1.9.9-1.  Actually I did this before libc5.  It
>installed with no problems.  Now when I try to install libc6 (version
>2.0.7pre1-4) it says it conflicts with libpthread0 (<< 0.7-10) and that
>libpthread 0.6-1 is installed.  I can't locate a newer version anywhere?
>I found 0.6-1 in the oldlibs section.  Did something else go wrong here?
> Any help is appreciated...
>
>Larry Walewski
>

>--

libc.so  --  libc.5.4.33 is the shared libc5 library, version 4.33. Most
applications are linked against either libc5 or libc6.
I don't know whether or not you are into programming,  - in case you are not,
this means that certain functions called upon in the application are not
statically compiled into the binary, but are taken from shared libraries. This
makes sense since e.g. the libc5/6 libraries include the basic set of C
functions, needed by many programs. In order to reduce disk usage (the
complete library would have to be statically linked, not just the parts of it
that you need for the application) these functions are not compiled into every
single program, but located in a spot where every application that needs them
can find them - in shared libraries.  (in case this is too superficial or wrong,
or somewhat incorrect, feel free to correct me ;-)

The symbolic link libc.so redirects requests for functions contained in libc to
the latest version available - in your case that used to be 5.4.33. Since you
upgraded, libc5.4.33 was removed from your system, and replaced with
5.4.38. What you should have done instead of copying libc5.4.38 to libc5.4.33 is
removing the outdated symlink and replacing it with an uptodate one:
ln -s /lib/libc.so.5.4.38 /usr/lib/libc.so creates such a symlink.
I recommend you do this to ensure that the debian packaging system, applications
and you don't get confused by misnamed libraries.

as to your second problem, I was unable to find a later version as well, however
I removed the package in question, which solved the problem for me.

- --
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"
- --
				 Christian Zander
				  *  web:  ishmael.ml.org/~zander
				  *  email:      czander@okay.net