libc6 install help

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade to libc6 and am running into a few problems.
First I didn't have a new enough version of libc5, so I got version
5.4.38-1 and installed that.  Installation went fine until the end
wherein it informed me I didn't have /usr/lib/libc.so, and thus exited
with an error.  Looking at libc.so points to /lib/libc.so.5.4.33?  There
is only /lib/libc.so.5.4.38?  I'm new to linux so I don't know what
happened here.  I got around it by copying this to 5.4.33.  Don't know
what this might cause.  Ok, now I reinstalled libc5 and it worked.  Next
I installed ldso version 1.9.9-1.  Actually I did this before libc5.  It
installed with no problems.  Now when I try to install libc6 (version
2.0.7pre1-4) it says it conflicts with libpthread0 (<< 0.7-10) and that
libpthread 0.6-1 is installed.  I can't locate a newer version anywhere?
I found 0.6-1 in the oldlibs section.  Did something else go wrong here?
 Any help is appreciated...

Larry Walewski