RE: X11 S3 installation

	[Vladislav Papayan  x285]
	When I configured my no-name S3Virge card I used XF86Setup
program that is
	now standard for XFree86.  This is a graphical application that
starts up
	assuming that you have a video card that is a lowest common
denominator
	for all the video cards --  then lets you pick you video an
monitor -- then
	it generates /etc/X11/XF86Setup file on exit.

> > ... I like fvwm95 to be the manager of choice...
>
> I downloaded and installed fvwm95 and installed it using dserver.  It
> did not change the appearance of the window manager very much.  I did
> find a INSTALL readme file that talked about copying files to a source
> directory and compiling them...  Is this required, or was that
> something
> left over from a generic unix/linux install distribution?  Can you
> point
> me in the direction of where I need to look to get the fvwm95 working?
>
> What WM is the easiest to install / configure?

	[Vladislav Papayan  x285]
	KDM (in my opinion)
	However, what made me use fvwm2 is the fact that I like a
program
	called XFCE that works great with fvwm2  -- this is basically
like
	a tool bar that alows you to create buttons for you favorit
applications
	without modifying any configuration files -- just a very user
friendly
	way to use X11 system.  By the way, to install XFCE -- I
downloaded
	the rpm file (for glibc -- because I use the latest glibc) then
used alien package to convert it to debian package and than just
installed it with dpkg -i .

> My X11 wm currently creates an xterm when it starts.  Once placed on
> the
> screen, it does not let me resize or move it.  Is this normal?
	[Vladislav Papayan  x285]  I
	I think this is a default for most of the fvwm  configuration
file
> What is the proper way to shutdown the X11 system when I want to work
> on
> my system from the console?  I have been changing the init level to
> "1"
> to get out of X11, but there must be a better way then this!
	[Vladislav Papayan  x285]
	Most of the time I do not shutdown X11 when I want to work on
from
	console.  I just do CTRL+F1 or CTRL+F2 or CTR+F.. (just not F7)
	to switch to console mode (I just learned 3 month ago -- and it
is better
	then shutting down X11 every time).  Changing init level to 1 I
think does
	more than you want because it is probably (I am guessing here)
switches
	you to single user mode.