Re: angband save problems

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 11:39:09PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 May 1998 23:37:46 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> > >    Wouldn't it just be easier to set the executable to GUID games and have
> > >all the game files owned by games?  That way there is no need to keep adding
> > >people as they start playing the game.  Or am I missing some fundimental
> > >security problem with that?
> >
> >     Blah, I mean SUID, not GUID, sorry.
>
> Is the game's code secure? Using the games group and setgid executables
> means that if the game does have holes, all you can do is trash the score
> files for the various games. The same is true using setuid games,
> but also means you could interfere with other people's games
> if you could a setuid games shell etc. Basically the existing systems
> works just fine as far as I can see.

Yup, definitely. Thats why I just added users to the games group, and it
worked fine, but I had to chmod the files in /etc/angband to group/all
read for the game to run. (Sorry, there was no need to change permissions
or ownership of any directorys despite my earlier ramblings.. But since
there was no problem with running the game, that isnt an issue anyway)

On another point, has anyone got the ^S command to work to "save the game
without exiting?" I have to use ^X and fire it up again.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)