Re: Printing to appletalk printer?

On 26 Apr, Asher Haig wrote:
> Is it possible to make linux print to an appletalk printer? I see papd
> can spool from appletalk to an lp printer. Can it work the other way?
>
> I want to print to an HP 6MP hooked up via a Jet Direct Plus to 10bT
> ethernet. It does NOT have a specific IP address assigned to it --  I
> only have 6 IPs on my subnet and they're all in use. They cost money b/c
> they're for my ISDN router for internet access -- I don't need the
> printer on the net, just my internal network. (Although Theoretically I
> could set up a second subnet and put it on that with the printer and have
> the printer have an IP on that subnet -- but I'd rather not if I don't
> have to) What's the best way to go about doing this?

http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html

Install the netatalk package, then follow half the directions on this
web page.  You don't need the part about setting the Linux box up as a
print spooler for the Macs, just the part about getting your Linux box
to find and use the Appletalk printer.  Works great here!
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College