Enabling XDM on Debian Linux

Hi Igor,
            I've been trying in vain for days to enable xdm on my DEBIAN
linux distribution
and if today I'm contacting you ,it's because I'm in desperate need of
some help.My
problem is the following : I read the FAQOMATIC on about How to enable
xdm and
there it is said that I should uncomment a few lines in the file
/usr/X11/config -- now this
file is not there on my system and moreover it does not seem to play a
major in the
booting process .After reading the debian documentation , I understand
that I should put
all scripts to be executed at boottime in /etc/init.d and then create a
symbolic link to it in
the /etc/rcN.d directory where N is the default runlevel in the file
/etc/inittab.I'm really
confused here and I no longer know what to do.I tried placing xdm in the
directory
/etc/init.d and a symbolic link to it in /etc/rcN.d. At first it seems
to work , but every time
I put my login and password , it returns to the xlogin widget each
time.This has driven me
crazy and I just want someone to tell me how to do it the right way.It
should be no secret
you that I am quite new to Linux and managing my own system though I've
been using
HP-UX as a user at college.I'll be glad if you could email me to help me
out .Thanks a
lot.