Re: Booting stops since CD-Recorder is connected

Stefan Kunkel writes:

> Hi
> I have a little Problem with my Debian-Kernel since i have connected
> my Yamaha CDR-102 !
> When i boot from DOS, the Kernel finds all SCSI-Devices (including
> the Recorder), but then he tries to find something on the ID of the
> Recorder with the LUN of 1 and tries to reset the SCSI-Controller
> (Tekram 390-U)
> and then nothing happens !!! Everything stops !!!
> What should i do ???
> Stefan

I have the same problem with "stock" kernels (ie. one built into the
installation floppy set). It seems that someone compiles in the multi-LUN
option into the SCSI driver. I run a mix of IDE and SCSI drives. When this
occurs, I disconnect the SCSI controller and boot pure IDE. I then recompile
the kernel to get rid of that (useless to me) option and install the modified
kernel (complete with bootable floppy). After shutdown, I re-install my SCSI
controller and boot from the modified kernel and all is well! It seems to me
that if someone _insist_ on compiling in the multi-LUN option, the driver
_should_ timeout and continue with the bootup process (rather than hang up the
system).

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK