Re: Xwindows not working

Keith Alen Vance <nfn11988@naples.net> writes:

> I have recently been screwing up my system and I am about ready to trash
> the whole thing and start over from scratch. I purchased a new video card
> Mystique 220 and I am trying to get it work with Xfree86 and AfterStep. I
> downloaded the files for Xfree86 3.3.1 and installed them and then setup
> afterstep 1.4. The problem is that if I do a startx if returns an error
> that it can't find afterstep.So if I go in to the .xinitrc file and
> comment the afterstep line out xwindows starts and then shuts down
> without any error messages. What I am saying is that it starts and then
> automatically shutdown right away. I really screwed things up when I was
> extracting the xfree86 files. I extracted them in the wrong directory at
> least once. So my hard drive is almost full. Is there a way I can delete
> Files by date. I would really like to totally back out of everything that
> I have done today and start over with a fresh kernel and the bare
> necessities. I am reluctant to just wipe my drive because I installed
> Linux via ftp and that takes awhile. Any suggestions would be great.

Well, unfortunately extracting files usually gives the newly extracted
files their old date, rather than the current one.  However, what you
might do is find out where the files went - you can do this with:
find / -name 'XF86*'

You can find out what a specific tar file extracts to with:
tar tf whatever.tar
or
tar tzf whatever.tar.gz

Then, go to the directory where you were when you did the incorrect
extraction and try something like:
tar tzf whatever.tar.gz | xargs rm -i

(you may have to be in the directory above where you did the
extraction, depending on how the tar file is built)