Re: Attempting to install on Dell 433/M

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> I'm attempting to install the 2.0.6 disk image on a Dell 433/M (486 processor).
> This machine appears to have VGA video integrated on the motherboard. It has
> a mono monitor.
>
> The machine has an Adaptec 1510 or 1520 SCSI card and one SCSI disk.
>
> I have tested the boot disk on another machine, and I have read it on this
> machine (which currently has SCO Unix on it), so I know that this disk is OK.
>
> It displays 'Loading root.bin...' and then blanks the screen (which does not
> happen on the other, non-Dell machine on which I tested this disk.)
>
> The floppy continues to be read for a while; I think that it is probably
> getting as far as the first screen of the installation, but the screen
> continues blank. I have tried entering `M' and `C' at this point, but
> without success.
>
> Has anyone any suggestions on how to get round this, please?  Are there any
> boot options I can include to change the behaviour of the machine?

Well, I have successfully installed Red Hat 4.2/slackware 3.x/Debian
1.3/2.0 on two Dell computers.. so my best guess would be that that is not
the problem. The only thing I could possibly think of being the problem is
some kind of problem when you created the disks. Sometimes people have to
create disks 2 or 3 times before they work. You might want to try and
download the images again and create the disks _ON NEW FLOPPIES_ again.
Maybe even do this another time if it still doesnt work. Usually this
solves the boot disk problem for most people. good luck..

   Brian