Re: Debian from the Stampede's POV

On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 03:40:37AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Dependancies aren't used outside Debian's packaging.  That information is
> presented, also, in the README. Installation and removal scripts, ditto.

If I use a non-Debian system (slackware, for example), and I want to
install a program that comes in a Debian package, I can do the
following:

# ar -x program.deb
# tar -xvzf control.tar.gz
# ./preinst
# tar -C / -xvzf data.tar.gz
# ./postinst

And I have the program installed and ready to run. No obscure tool
needed, just plain old ar, tar and gzip. That may work even on a
non-Linux system (if the package is a binary-all one). How would I do
that with SLP?

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es