Re: IP Masquerade and PPP

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Bruce Jackson wrote:

> You mean to tell me that with a simple firewall I will not be able to
> ping and traceroute.  This does not seem logical to me that a firewall
> should prevent this.  Anyways, I can`t surf the net, even using ip
> addresses.

It sounds like you don't have something set up correctly.  Do you get ANY
net access through the firewall?  Have you configured ipfwadm?

To use ping and traceroute through the firewall, you need to compile with
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y

You will need to run 'make modules; make modules install' to get the
masquerading modules installed to permit ftp, realaudio, irc, quake,
cuseeme, etc., and install the modules.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen