Re: gcc broken?

> Did you try something like this?
>
> b3po@bjgalaxy$ type g++
> g++ is /usr/bin/g++

Yes. I get the same output here.

> Also, maybe when you're compiling, gcc is being used and is expecting
> the g++272 to be installed; it is oblivious to the existence of
> g++.

Sigh. All these multitudes of compilers and such are quite confusing. :). I got
g++272 from slink, after which my compile worked. Thanks!. But g++272 says its
for backward compatability only. Why should the newest gcc be trying to use a
version of g++ which claims to only be for backward compatability?

> So you should either ensure that egcc is the compiler that is being
> used so that it will use the g++ you have installed, or ftp the latest
> g++272 (g++272_2.7.2.3-4.2.deb) from some place such as
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/devel

How would I make egcc be the default compiler?
And what is the difference between gcc and egcc?

Thanks alot!
Timothy

E-Mail: timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu
Date: 23-May-98