Re: Debian from the Stampede's POV

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 06:11:35PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    (I didn't know
>    until about a month ago that .deb files were just 'ar' archives -- where is
>    this documented?)
> See deb(5).

Or, for that matter, try `file *.deb':

] [aj@azure ~]$ file cruft_0.9.1_i386.deb
] cruft_0.9.1_i386.deb: current ar archive

(Oh, and the nice thing about having an ar of two tar's rather than a
tar with some extra stuff tacked on the end is that you can get to *all*
the information in the former with standard tools, whereas the latter
requires you to whip out the ol' C compiler if you don't have the
appropriate packager handy)

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''