Re: Debian from the Stampede's POV

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 06:08:09PM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 01:08:11PM -0700, G John Lapeyre wrote:
> > > Does the stampede format even SUPPORT dependancies?
> > >
> > 	This is readily available from their web site.
> >
> > SLP Version 2.1 int value of 4. (Production release)
>
> [..]
>
> That is gross and at best hard to use by the end users without special
> tools.  This is the SAME problem rpm has.

In fairness, it looks like just a .tar.gz archive followed by some
additional information.  So end users can just tar -xzvf the package, which
is much cooler than using rpm2cpio _or_ the deb format.  (I didn't know
until about a month ago that .deb files were just 'ar' archives -- where is
this documented?)

Mind you, the clever Debian conffile features aren't going to work if you
don't have a package manager do the installation.  But if you're using a
package manager, you don't need rpm2cpio or 'ar' anyway.

Have fun,

Avery