Re: ppp

On Fri, 22 May 1998 Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied.  I'm sure my problem was the /dev/ttys1
> instead of /dev/ttyS1.
> I'll try this tonight.
>
> I'd like to connect my modem to the linux machine and then  have my two
> windows computers access the internet via a local network to the linux box
> using IP - Masquerading.  Currently on windows when ever you click on the
> browers icon it starts the dial out process (if the connection was not made
> first).  Is there anyway to have this happen with PPP when the browers
> starts up (on linux OR on the Win-95 machines)?  I'd like to leave the
> linux machine up and running all the time, but not have to start PPP for my
> wife when she sits down at the windows computer and starts her browser.
> And (of course) I only want the PPP connection up when needed.  Any ideas?
> (probably need to write some software on the windows side I guess).

No need to write software, Use diald as others have suggested on the
linux box, and set up the win95 internet control panel to use a LAN
connection to the net... Or something like that, I cant remember off
hand. But it should be there. :) Make sure the network card has an
IP address, and that the Gateway is set to the linux box's LAN address.
That is under "TCP/IP --> <network card>" properties in the network
control panel.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)