Re: !!! URGENT !!! Can't boot back to Win95

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Ionut Borcoman at musa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, I've panicked and reinstalled all Win95. Fortunately, all
> my personal data and files are on a different partition (sda5 and sda6)
> so nothing important was lost, excepting my time and yours. With this
> occasion I have also changed sda1 from FAT32 to VFAT as my newly 2.0.33
> kernel didn't recognize it. Any idea about this ? The original kernel
> that come with hamm had had no problem to mount that partition.

This problem is probably caused by not having support for FAT32 compiled
into your new kernel. The standard kernels that come with most
distributions all have FAT32 support compiled in, which would explain why
you didn't have any problems with the original kernel. When compiling your
new one you probably forgot to add the FAT32 support. It's under the
section "fs" if you use menuconfig or xconfig. If not, it'll just be
somewhere near the end.

> Now, the Win95 is working again and sda1 is simple vfat partion. I used
> loadlin to boot linux, but I would like to use lilo. So here is my new
> lilo.conf. Please tell me if it is good. I don't want to be again in the
> position to install Win95. 8-)
>
> boot=/dev/sda
> root=/dev/sda3
> compact
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> default=win95
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/sda3
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>     label=old
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/sda3
>
> other = /dev/sda1
>     label=win95
>     table = /dev/sda
>

> A question related is this: my computer has 128M RAm, but linux see just
> 64M. I have read that you can put mem=128M at the LILO: prompt or to
> include it in the lilo.conf. Also, it is stated that, even when you have
> 128M physical RAM, some RAM can be mapped and used by BIOS. SO, how do I
> know how much RAM to declare to LILO and how do I do this in lilo.conf.

I too have 128mb of physical RAM so i share your pain. If you want linux
to recognize all of this, simply put the following line in the global
section of lilo.conf (the top part):

append="mem=128M"

That should fix things up. Good luck

	Brian