Re: Release Date Debian 2

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Mark Messer wrote:

> Is Debian 2 defently going to be release this month.. and when.....

Maybe, as the developers say, it will be released when it is ready.  It's
my job to report to upper management when I think it's ready.  Right now,
there are lots of release critical bugs that need to be closed.  The
upgrade method needs some more testing (i.e. I just got bash to core dump
by doing the upgrade the wrong way yesterday, I'm trying another upgrade
now, this time from rexx (1.2), the right way).  After that is done, I'll
double check with the other testers and ask Brian to declare hamm as beta.
If these upgrade methods look promising, the base disk don't appear to
have problems with anyone's hardware (that's the next install I'll have to
do), and the bugs drop like a can of raid hit them, the end of the month
is theoretically possible, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

   Want to help speed it up?  Drop me a line, give me an idea of what you
can do.  I'll send you the current status of the project and a list areas
that can be worked on, along with adding you to the testing mailing list.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 596-5550                      --Linus Torvalds