Re: tetex installation bug

 GM> On 20 May 1998, Thomas Vaughan wrote:
 >> No, that doesn't solve the problem, which has something to do
 >> with an environment variable, TEXMFMAIN.  Apparently there is a
 >> bug somewhere that causes TEXMFMAIN to be unset when it should be
 >> set.  I don't really know where to look, though.  Everything was
 >> installed just fine before I tried to update this morning, and so
 >> I suspect that others have seen this, too.

 GM> TEXMFMAIN is set in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf and if you do an
 GM> upgrade somehow the texmf.cnf which is there is from the old
 GM> package which doesnt have TEXMFMAIN, the new is
 GM> /etc/texmf/texmf.cfn.dpkg-new ... i moved it manually, it then
 GM> configured...

Thanks.  I copied by hand

texmf.cnf           ->  texmf.cnf.dpkg-old
texmf.cnf.dpkg-new  ->  texmf.cnf

in that order and then ran the configure option from dselect's main
menu.

Here is an excerpt from dselect's output.

: running dpkg --pending --configure ...
: Setting up tetex-base (0.9-6) ...
: config_replace: file './texmf.cnf' not found.
: texhash: Updating /usr/lib/texmf/local/ls-R...
: texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
: texhash: Done.
: Running initex. This may take some time. ...
: Output of initex is in /tmp/tex02208aaa

"file './texmf.cnf' not found" appears here and at least at one other
place in the output.

In any event, one should not have to copy files by hand during
installation.  Has anybody reported this as a bug?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan                            vaughan@mail.nhn.ou.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy                 home: (303) 750-7864