Re: Linux AGP and VIA chipsets

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 12:42:31AM +0200, joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:
> > 1. Does anyone else have a motherboard baised on a VIA Apollo 3 AGP
> > chipset with 1Mb cache RAM?  Or do I need a Intel 430TX type for
> > absolute reliability/compatability? I'm looking at Biostar, DFI, and FIC
> > brands.
>
> All chipsets are supported I think. Some older buggy chipsets are even
> bugfixed in the linux kernel.

VIA chipsets are supported as is AGP.  One would theorize that VIA AGP is
supported too then, but we know how that goes.  =>  I'd say the odds quite
highly favor it working.  Someone wanna send me an Apollo VP3 board to test
it on?  <g>

> > 2. Does X-Windows have support for the newer AGP video cards, specificly
> >    the Trident 9750 AGP video card?
>
> Why don't you check for yourself on www.xfree86.org? If you want to use
> the newer xfree86 releases, you'll have to install packages from the hamm
> section of the debian distribution. Currently, it is "frozen" and I don't
> expect that it will be the "stable" release by early june yet. But that
> shouldn't keep you from installing hamm, it is very stable in practice.

AGP cards are supported under X, not sure about the specific one.

> > 3. Will generic ethernet cards ($25 PCI 10Mbit/sec) run well enough to
> >  allow me to hook-up my Linux computer to a Win-95 (my parents) so I    can
> > have access to the internet through it?  This would be initially    so I
> > can install Linux directly from the internet and later for    internet access.
>
> Mine works fine. Yours probably too.

A side note is that if you're getting a $25 PCI ethernet card, it's a PCI
NE2000 type.  This requires kernel 2.0.32, a standard if you use hamm.

> About the internet access through win95, forget that: win95 can't do
> routing and certainly not ip-masquerading (or did you get a subnet of real
> ip addresses?)

It can if you use something like Wingate.  It'd be better to go the other
direction once he's got Linux working okay though.  Linux is a much better
IP Masq server than Win95 anyday if nothing else because Linux supports it
and Windoze emulates support for it.

> With some knowledge and effort, you can make your linux pc do the
> following (and much more):
>
> - internet router, firewall and masquerading host
> - web server, for your own pages and as a caching proxy server for your
>   home network (speeds up internet browsing)
> - mail server, for sending (smtp) and retrieving (pop3) mail and for
>   reading/keeping mailboxes on the server (imap/pop3)
> - windows print, file and logon server (make it act like an nt server for
>   windows95)
> - nameserver
> - usenet news server
> - fax server

Just get the IP-Masquerade HOWTO (I think it's a mini but I'm not sure)  You
can add and remove routes in ip-up.d/ and ip-down.d/ (again talking about
using hamm--the setup is a little different for bo) which is the Right Place
to put it.  Otherwise it's all there.