Re: Linux AGP and VIA chipsets

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Larry Panzer wrote:

> 1. Does anyone else have a motherboard baised on a VIA Apollo 3 AGP
> chipset with 1Mb cache RAM?  Or do I need a Intel 430TX type for
> absolute reliability/compatability? I'm looking at Biostar, DFI, and FIC
> brands.

All chipsets are supported I think. Some older buggy chipsets are even
bugfixed in the linux kernel.

> 2. Does X-Windows have support for the newer AGP video cards, specificly
>    the Trident 9750 AGP video card?

Why don't you check for yourself on www.xfree86.org? If you want to use
the newer xfree86 releases, you'll have to install packages from the hamm
section of the debian distribution. Currently, it is "frozen" and I don't
expect that it will be the "stable" release by early june yet. But that
shouldn't keep you from installing hamm, it is very stable in practice.

> 3. Will generic ethernet cards ($25 PCI 10Mbit/sec) run well enough to
>  allow me to hook-up my Linux computer to a Win-95 (my parents) so I    can
> have access to the internet through it?  This would be initially    so I
> can install Linux directly from the internet and later for    internet access.

Mine works fine. Yours probably too.

About the internet access through win95, forget that: win95 can't do
routing and certainly not ip-masquerading (or did you get a subnet of real
ip addresses?)

Instead, put the modem in linux and make it the server on the network.
Maybe it is a bit hard to set up if you are new to linux/ip-networking, in
that case you could consider experimenting with a cheap modem, not
disrupting your parents internet access.

With some knowledge and effort, you can make your linux pc do the
following (and much more):

- internet router, firewall and masquerading host
- web server, for your own pages and as a caching proxy server for your
  home network (speeds up internet browsing)
- mail server, for sending (smtp) and retrieving (pop3) mail and for
  reading/keeping mailboxes on the server (imap/pop3)
- windows print, file and logon server (make it act like an nt server for
  windows95)
- nameserver
- usenet news server
- fax server