Re: Lincity and SVGAlib not working

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 03:09:19PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I d/led Hamms Lincity, Lincity-svga and the SVGAlib dummy. However,
> after typing 5 for mouse (PS2 - I do not have gpm if that makes
> a difference) it just stopped. I then tried removing the svgalib dummy
> and installing svgalibg1, but this time it stopped at a screen with
> green and blue colours. Trying to switch VCs made it go all wierd
> and I had to reboot.
>
> I have an Inspiron 3000, Neomagic video card. The packages I downloaded
> were:
> * lincity_1.09-3.deb
> * lincity-svga_1.09-3.deb
> * svgalib-dummyg1_1.2.13-2.deb
> * svgalibg1_1.2.13-3.2.deb
>
> Can anyone help me get this working please?

I think you are a bit confused - svgalibg1 is the glibc(2) aka libc6 version
of svgalib, svgalib-dummyg1 is a fake version of svgalib1g.  The reason the
dummy package is there is that some programs work in both X-windows and
svgalib and won't work without a svgalib library. However some people never
use these programs in svgalib (only in X-windows) and the dummy package
takes up lots less disk space than the proper library.

Maybe svgalib-dummyg1's description will help:
 This package can replace the usual svgalib1 package, on which many
 other packages depend. Unfortunately, the proper svgalib1 requires
 some configuration and is a bit verbose, so if you don't need console
 graphics at all, and would install it only to satisfy dependencies,
 this dummy package may be an alternative for you.

I would suggest removing the dummy package (you want to run it under svgalib
since you have got lincity-svga, if you want to run under x-windows you will
want lincity-x instead/as well).

Then see what "dpkg -l" or "dselect" says about these packages - maybe they
aren't installed properly.  Try a different svgalib program and see if you
can get the mouse to work - I have a feeling that you may need to run
lincity as root to get permissions to access the mouse driver.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com,  http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution