Re: Install Questions

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:

> >  You don't need any special drivers for IDE cd-roms. If you have the cd
> >  in the sound-cards ide-channel, it's propably more easy to move it to
> >  either primary or secondary channel. Then just point the installation to cd,
> >  just like hard disk .. /dev/hdc for master on secondary and so on...
> >
> >         --j
>
>   Thanks for the tip.  I ordered the CD a couple of weeks ago, but it has not
> arrived yet.  I went ahead and downloaded the stuff from the FTP sites.  I have
> noticed that the LED on the CD is on alot of the time.  I'm not sure if this is a
> problem.

This is typical of many CD-ROM drives.

> Can I read non-linux CD's just to test its operation?  If so, how would I go
> about verifying the CD operation?

Yes, most use the iso9660 file system.  Assuming you connected to the
master channel of the secondary controller, try (as root):

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt

Then 'ls -al /mnt' should give you a directory listing of the CD, etc.

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen