Re: SMTP connection went away?

> Could this /etc/inetd.conf entry be related to Mr. Lowe's problem?  What
Yes -- it was the problem.  inetd was refusing to start smail when it
received connections on port 25 becuase this line was commented out.
(btw,  it's "Will" ... Mr. Lowe is my dad :) .. I'm 20...)

> does "(will be restored by smail postinst)" mean?
There are several installation scripts in debian packages.  The preinst
one,  run before the package is unpacked,  stops smail service by
commenting out the smail line in /etc/inetd.conf ... this is done so that
there aren't any old smail processes running using the version about to be
overwritten.
	The postinst script is run after unpacking,  and should have
uncommented the line in /etc/inetd.conf to restore mail service.
	It didn't.  I filed a bug about this a few months ago,  but it
seems nothing's come of it.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |