Re: SMTP connection went away?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 07:18:17PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 1998, Will Lowe wrote:
>
> > > Have you changed hostnames or anything? Is smail running out of inetd or
> > Not lately.
> >
> > > as a daemon?
> > from inetd.
> >
> > > Can you telnet to localhost 25 and see the smail
> > > announcement?
> > I get "connection refused"
> >
> > > Is your hosts.allow set up correctly?
> > It's empty -- but I haven't changed it.  All the sudden yesterday when up
> > upgraded some packages my smail port became unavailable.  Would a new
> > package have bungled that up without asking?
> >

> Could have, what does your hosts.deny have in it?

My mail system seems to be working since the upgrade to hamm/frozen.
However, I just tried "telnet localhost 25" and got "connection
refused".  I had noticed after the upgrade that /etc/inetd.conf had this
line (note the "#"):

# smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.smtpd (will be restored by smail postinst)

When I uncommented the line, "telnet localhost 25" now gives:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to ludd.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-ludd.klis.com Smail-3.2.0.101 (#1 1998-May-5) ready at Wed, 20 May
1998 00:24:47 -0300 (ADT)
220 ESMTP supported

Could this /etc/inetd.conf entry be related to Mr. Lowe's problem?  What
does "(will be restored by smail postinst)" mean?

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux 2.0