Unidentified subject!

I have installed debian 1.3.1 r6 on my computer and (following the
directions from att worldnet for using linux with their ISP service)
attempted to get
my modem to dial out.  I compiled support into the kernel for both slp and
ppp.  During the boot phase the messages which scroll past the screen (and
get dumped to the /var/log files) contain several lines for PPP so I assume
that the correct kernel got installed in LILO.  I created a shell script in
/usr/sbin called ppp-on
which contains a line

pppd connect 'chat  .... options supplied ...

but running this script gives the error mesages kernel does not support
PPP.      Any ideas?

I am now writing this in the office, my debian machine is at home.  I will
get my kernel options file, the exact ppp-on script, kernel log messages,
etc  if more info is needed here.

BTW   AT&T worldnet seems to encourage the use of Linux to access the web,
and they mention using with a local network to share an account with
several home computers (And tell you how to do it too!)