problem with netscape{3,4} installer

I had some problems with my netscape installation and decided to purge
netscape and reinstall.  Now, with either netscape 3.04, navigator 4.05
or communicator 4.05, I get the following error when using the appropriate
Debian installer package:

Unpacking netscape3 (from netscape3_3.04-3.deb) ...
- This release is for a different version of netscape than the one
installed.
  Please 'dpkg --purge netscape netscape3' and reinstall this package.
  You will need the original 3.04 source archive from Netscape to do
  this.  Place the source archive in /tmp.

Of course if I do "dpkg --purge netscape netscape3" as the error message
states, I get:

dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove netscape which isn't installed.
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove netscape3 which isn't installed.

Netscape is NOT installed.  The correct version for the installer is in
/tmp with 644 permissions, owned by root.

I've installed the exact same version(s) before (many times) with no
problems. What is possibly wrong here?

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org