PPPD Not working?

	I cannot believe I am asking this.... since I had it working with Debian
1.3R6.  After upgrading to Debian 2.0 via hamm, and reinstalling "minicom",
I tried doing my usual, login via minicom, quit without reset, run 'pppd
/dev/modem 57600 crtscts defaultroute modem' then it hangs up instantly!
Any ideas guys?  Oh yeah... on kernel bootup, it says PPP loaded, with BSD
PPPD compression (is this what is causing problems, the PPP compression?)
Thanks in advance guys!

-Carroll Kong