Re: dselect oddities

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

Steve> Because I wasn't aware that I could put sections on hold.

	Hmm. Everytime I use the arrow keys to go up and down dselect,
 and pass over the section line, it tells me :
The line you have highlighted represents many packages; if you ask to
install, remove, hold, &c it you will affect all the packages which match
the criterion shown.

If you move the highlight to a line for a particular package you will see
information about that package displayed here. You can use `o' and `O' to
change the sort order and give yourself the opportunity to mark packages in
different kinds of groups.

	Seems like it tells me that several times per session I have
 with dselect. I fail to see how dselect is at fault for people not
 knowing this.

Steve> However, as someone has said, it is not possible to place
Steve> everything on hold.

	One can certainly put all new and all updated packages on
 hold. There are not that many sections; so it *is* possible to put
 ecerything on hold.

Steve> Also, when new packages are installed the
Steve> process has to be repeated over and over again.

	Only the new and updated sections; and once I hacve my system
 updated, once, there are not, in my opinion, too many new packages
 coming out out there. In any case, two operations (move to the new
 packages line, hit =, move to the updated packages line, hit =) and
 you are done.

	manoj
 who fails to see why this is such a big deal
--
 Justice is incidental to law and order. Edgar Hoover