Re: ATAPI Tape Drives

servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> Can anybody give me any con's of the Seagate Tapestor 8G IDE tape drive?
> I found a great deal on one and want to look out for any gotcha's.  I
> checked the Hardware compatibility list and it is on there but I
> thought I would just check.  The ide-tape.c driver says it is still
> alpha.  How stable/unstable is it?  Can I count on it for reliable
> backups?

I take it you mean the 4 gig / 8 gig (travan TR4)?Well...I bought a SCSI one for
about $209 and I think it works great.
I don't see why the IDE version wouldn't work...essentially it is the same
drive so if the IDE portions of it work then...like I said...a great drive
just a week or two ago I did a complete backup, repartitioned my drive
(backup being tar cf /dev/st0 / /home -l )
and then booted off a floppy and restored (after repartitioning, reformatting)
and it worked great.
like I said tho....I dunno about IDE...
the only thing about IDE is I kno wit doesn't recommend (manual was the
same for both version BTW) putting it on the same IDE controller as the hard
drive
if you can afford it (remember I said I paid $209 for a SCSI version of the same
drive
at www.compuplus.com) I would go SCSI , but if you have a free IDE controller
(I think it doesn't mind too much going on the same one as a CD ROM drive)
then the IDE SHOULD work
I was advised before I was even looking at tape drives
"You can use any scsi drive and most IDE drives"
-Steve