RE: V.90 modem recomendation

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Breathnach, Proinnsias (Dublin) wrote:

> 	c) If you have a 386SX and an external 56K Modem you will NOT get a
> better connect than 9600bps due to the fact that the computer will only have
> an old INS 8250 UART. - even if the modem had a UART (which would be a
> redundancy) you will only get the throughput of the *slowest* part of the
> system.

> As always I'm open to contradiction on any points made here :)

Well, as long as you asked--

I've never seen a 386sx with an onboard serial port, but have successfully
used serial cards with 16550A uarts at rates above 9600 baud in a 386sx,
as well as a 286. IIRC, only 8086/8 types are limited to the 8250, and
that is only because of a bug in the chip design which was corrected in
the PC and XT bios, making them incompatible with the 16450 or 16550.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen