Re: backup superblocks/bad drive

Stephen Carpenter <sjc@gis.net> asks:
> ....hmm..is tehre a way to get that info from a working drive? I
> would like to dump it to a text file and throw it on a rescue disk

     There is a program /sbin/findsuper in the e2fsprogs package that
sounds like it might be what you want.  Unfortunately it doesn't have
either man page or info file (except the standard default saying there
isn't one).  findsuper --help and findsuper -h yield nothing helpful.
I can't find a reference to findsuper in /usr/doc/e2fsprogs.

     However, findsuper <devname> produces a list of superblocks.  It
works whether the file system is mounted or not.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>