backup superblocks/bad drive

I've got a friend who has a corrupted his primary partition.  He gets
an error message when he boots of an invalid superblock suggesting
that he run "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1".  I know that mke2fs makes
several backup copies of the superblock, but I'm unsure of where these
are placed.  Are they placed in "standard" locations?  If so, what are
they?

Given that this is a fairly new configuration for him (but still
semi-configured), should I suggest a reinstall or is it worth trying
to fix it?

--
 Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org
 http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html