Re: Linux and ADSL

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Keith wrote:

: Cable modem down here in SotuhWest Florida cost about $35 per month.
: They put an ethernet card in your computer, but it is not bidirectional
: yet. You still have to dial in with a modem. So uploading is slow, the
: speed of the modem.

I want to write a shameless plug for my employer, but I won't.

: Is there going to be a standard on cable modems or is every single cable
: company going to do their own thing, and then no one will have any
: descent drivers and stuff. Or does it not matter is it all running
: through the ethernet card therefore all you need is the ethernet adapter
: driver. That would be nice.

Yes, the MCNS standard has supposedly been ratified.  That means that in
the future, all cable modems will (should) follow the same standard.  In
the meantime, you do have to be careful, as not all modems are created
equal.  We have some Zenith and some LANCity ... the LANCity modems are
excellent.  I'll avoid comemnting on the Zenith.

However, as you say, to the user everything should be fairly
transparent, since most modems connect via Ethernet.  Every modem I've
seen does, but I won't extrapolate that to mean they all do.  If you can
configure the machine to use IP and Ethernet, you're in business.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104

PS.  Technically the device is not a "modem", but the term is in such
common use it's hard to avoid it.  I use it every day talking to
customers - if I were to say "Cable Ethernet Bridge" I'd get a blank
stare ...