logical devices on sound card

	Anyone understand logical devices as they relate to kernel
configuration ?  I recently compiled sound support into the kernel.  I just
kind of guessed at what to do in putting together isapnptools and make
config, and guessing at the capabilities of this poorly documented card.
Dumb luck got me fairly good results.  I didn't know what mpu-401 is (still
don't for that matter), so I didn't choose it during make config.

	Following the Sound HOWTO I ran `cat /dev/sndstat' to see how things
looked.  Under the section card config I got something along the lines of

	Card config:
	Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,1
	( MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
	midi ...
	OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

The sound HOWTO said that anything in parentheses was configured but not
detected.  I'm not sure I understand because I didn't enable this in the
kernel, yet it was reported.  I decided I would enable it in the kernel so I
recompiled.  Now cat /dev/sndstat reports

	Card config:
	Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,1
	(Roland MPU-401 at 0x168 irq 12 drq 0)
	(SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
	OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

	So, my dumb luck has run out.  I might just go back to the old
configure and hopefully get back the midi device, but I'd like know if I can
also get this mpu device enabled.  Anybody know about this, specifically,
why did mpu appear in /dev/stat after the first compile even though I hadn't
enabled it during make config ?  isapnp did find 4 logical devices on the
sound card.  I still only partially understand what a logical device is so
I'm not sure where to go from here.

	Any  comments or ideas appreciated.

	TIA,

	Gerald Crimp