Re: Help with cdwrite

On Sun, 10 May 1998, XRD Lab wrote:

> mwb wrote:
> >
> > I have a Mermorex CRW-1622.
>
> Sorry for the stupid question. Is the above drive IDE?

YES, it is IDE.

> > I use kernel 2.1.94 for writing.  As far as it goes, you need to
> > compile the kernel to use scsi emulation, generic scsi support, and
> > cd support.  Do not include atapi cd support - it won't let the
> > scsi emulation see the drive.
>
> Thanks. I will try that. If I do not include atapi cd support, how do I
> read my regular cd's?

You can read and write cd's using the scsi interface.  To read the
cd, you mount the drive as you would if it were a scsi drive, the
command line I use is:

mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom -t iso9660 -ro

What won't work, or at least won't work for me, is ripping audio
off the disks through scsi emulation.  So I want to copy CDs I
boot to an ATAPI kernel, rip my CDs, then boot a scsi kernel and
write the CDs.

Mark W. Blunier
blunier@concentric.net