smail without relay

I use Debian 1.3.1

I want my smail not to relay. So I have to add the line
smtp_remote_allow = 127.0.0.1:<IP>
to the config file. This works only from smail_3.2.0.101 on, which
is a hamm package. So I need to upgrade libc5_5.4.33-3 to at least
libc5_5.4.33-7 first, in order to be able to upgrade to
libc6_2.0.7pre1-4. I already upgraded to ldso_1.9.8-1.

Is there anything else, I have to be aware of, when I upgrade to
libc6?
I read the Debian libc5 to libc6 mini HOWTO, but I also got the
following answer from USENET:

> But beware, cause it could force you to do a pretty big upgrade
> to hamm. If you still want to do the upgrade join debian-user and ask
> there.

So I wanted to be sure.

Stef
--
WebMaster D-CHEM
UNIX and Windows NT administration, SOS-ETH