Re: filesystem layout

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Greg Norris wrote:

>   Here's what I'm thinking of doing.  Remount the existing filesystem as
> /some_fs_name, move it's /sbin component back to /usr/local/sbin, then
> create symlinks under /usr/local to point all of the other directories
> to their new locations.  Are there any problems with this approach that I
> need to be aware of?  And if so, what would be a better solution?
>
> Thanx!

I think the way I would do it is go to single user mode, unmount
/usr/local, and /usr of it is also a mount point. Now make
/usr/local/sbin, put A COPY of what you need in there, and remount /usr
and /usr/local over top.

This will cost you a tiny bit of space (whatever you decide to put in
/usr/local/bin) but the stuff will be there with only / mounted and
mounting /usr and /usr/local will be seamless.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?