Re: How to build Debian Linux cluster?

> Hi, Ken!
>
> I post this message again, as there were some problems with listserver.

I think it might have gotten lost at this end... we have a non-Linux mail
server :)

> > component in the cluster within 2 hours.  I have since found out listening
> > to this list that the dpkg utility helps to make this chore a lot simpler,
> > if you learn to use the command line interface (silly me).
> >
> Could you please give more details about that.  Imagine I need to update some
> package (perl for example) on 6 nodes simultaneously, what do I do?

It was posted a week or so ago, but here's what they said:

 a) Install one machine with all the packages you like.

 b) Get the selection with
    dpkg --get-selections > my.selection

 c) Install the next machine
    Quit dselect after you specified the access method

 d) Add the selection from the other machine with
    cat my.selection | dpkg --set-selections

 e) Run dselect to install the files  Or if you need batch mode
    mount /pub/debian under /mnt and then
    cd /mnt
    dpkg -iGROEB hamm/hamm hamm/contrib hamm/non-free

I suppose this assumes you're installing hamm (the last command anyway).

What I had done is write a script that would take as input a status file
from the machine I want to clone, the status file of the newly installed
machine, and produced a status file that would cause dselect/install to
install or remove whatever was necessary.  This kind of fiddling with the
system makes me nervous, though.

Hope that helps.

Ken