WU-FTP & Shadow Passwords

I installed Debian 1.3.1 (kernel 2.0.29) on a machine Iintend to use a s a public
FTP/Web server.  When I ran the install program, I selected to enable Shadow
passwords.  I also installed the package WU-FTP as an alternative to the
standard ftp daemon.  NOW..."real" users cannot log in via FTP, and by visiting
the WU-FTPD site I have deduced that it is due to shadow passwords.  Attempte
to compile my own version of WUFTPD have been highly unsuccessful.  I am
sure that there is a very simple solution to this, barring that, a work-around.

Can someone please enlighten me?

--Greg Dickinson
www.vaderfor2000.org (not registered yet)