Compile Problems

Hello Everyone,

        Earlier some one had asked about compiling on Debian and I really
did think about the problem. But they mentioned that they kept having a
problem reporting "your compiler is unable to make executables".

        Then someone reported to check the "config.log" for the complete
errors. I have been having the same problem with everything I have tried
to complile. I had sent a message to the list and another list and found
out that the file I was missing, "crt1.o" was in the libc5 package. I
re-installed the gcc, libc5 package ( the base one) and the libc5-dbg
programs. But am still having the same problem.

        Here's on of my config.log's and it shows the "crt1.o" is my
problem with compiling.

Config.log:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:541: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:571: checking for gcc
configure:648: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:662: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 658 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
main(){return(0);}

        What package contains the "crt1.o". I am at a loss trying to
figure this one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harry