Re: Install problem - kernel problems with Adaptec 2740 EISA cards

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Bob McGowan wrote:

: I downloaded the Official CD images 2 or 3 months ago and did all the
: checks and balances before burning a CD.  I also checked the CD image
: file against the burned image (dd and cmp under a UNIX system) and found
: no errors.
:
: I tried to install from the CD using a DOS boot and running the
: install.bat file to start Linux (the one in the /boot directory).
:
: Initially, the kernel would find the 2740 cards, download "sequencer
: code", reset the bus (3 times, once for each card), do a few other
: things (qlogicisp probe and eata-dma probe) and panic with the message
: "Encounterd spurious interrupt".  I checked the EISA config for the
: cards and found they were set to "level" trigger on the interrupts,
: changed this to "edge" trigger.  The kernel then reports 3 spurious
: interrupts (1 per card, I presume), then aborts some scsi command due to
: timeout, resets the scsi bus, then enter an endless loop timeing out and
: resetting.  The abort message is "aborting command due to timeout: pid0,
: scsi0, channel0, id0, lun0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00".
:
: I have also created the boot floppy (rescue disk) from the CD and tried
: to boot from it with the same results.  I have just downloaded from the
: ftp site the rescue disk image, on the off chance that there have been
: changes (but this looks unlikely - the CD image is 1.3.1 and the
: directory and time stamps look like mine).
:
: I have also checked the FAQ and scanned the currently open bugs lists to
: no avail.
:
: Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Have you tried a rescue disk with a kernel that has ONLY AIC7XXX SCSI
support?  Most 2740s are pretty touchy about being probed by other
drivers.

I haven't used my 486 VLB w/2740 for a long time (new toys) but I can
break it out of retirement to do some testing ..

If you need a kernel compiled, let me know.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104