telnet login remotely or local host

Hi,
perhaps someone knows an answer to a very stupid question.

I have just installed debian linux and want to telnet into the machine.
Neither telnet localhost nor telnet IPaddress do work, I am getting
"connection refused".

The inetd is running (checked with ps -aux),
in host.allow I typed in ALL: ALL and removed
the PARANOIC from hosts.deny - without success.

The funny think is that ping works to the machine,
so in principal the machine/network connect  is alive.

If someone had a good idea I would appreciate it.
Thx and greetings to the rest of the world :-)

Raymond

My eMail:
raymonds@silverplatter.com
(Berlin Office).